Historically a small class of 4-5 mentally retarded children was started in 1964 in the Government College of Education, Chandigarh by Sh. J. S. Gandhi, Lecturer in Psychology in the college. Within a short period, the number of students increased & a separate building was hired for these children. It was established with the aim of providing educational and vocational training to mentally retarded children with the recognition of the fact that with the proper training and facilities to such children, they can be rehabilitated and made to adjust themselves to the demands of society. Now the institute is under the direct control and supervision of department of Psychiatry, Govt. Medical College & Hospital, Sector 32, Chandigarh, India In the year 1973, the control of this institute was transferred from Govt. College of Education to District Education Officer, Chandigarh Administration. In the year 1978, Govt. of India sanctioned D.D.O's powers to Office-in-charge and the control of the institute was transferred to Director State Institute of Education, Chandigarh. The building hired for the purpose could accommodate about 40 children. This was the only Govt. Institute in Punjab, Haryana & Chandigarh. Many parents were keen to get their child admitted. The residential facility for 12 seats was provided to the children whose parents resided in other cities or states. From Charity to Right Based.... We have earned the presidential award for "Best individual working for the persons with 2013" 6th Feb 2013. This is the highest award in the field of disability and is given to Joint Director Dr. B.S.Chavan for outstanding contribution in the field of disability.
The eligibility criteria for the admission M.Ed. SE-MR/ID Course for the session 2021- 22 is as under: -
A candidate who has successfully passed B.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation/Intellectual Disability) from a recognized University or any other Degree from a recognized University and considered equivalent to B.Ed. Special Education (MR/ID) by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI).
A candidate who has successfully passed the B.Ed. (General) course and has completed Diploma in Education, Special Education (MR/ID), a PG Professional Diploma in Special Education (MR/ID) PGPDSE (MR) recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) till academic session 2014-15. Candidates with B.Ed. in particular specialization may be allowed for M.Ed. cross disability/ multicategory (as and when offered) but the reverse is not allowed. B.Ed. with multi-category should not be admitted for specialization in a single disability at the M.Ed. level, however; as a part of CBCS, these can be admitted to B.Ed. Special Education Area C courses and complete the specialization courses to qualify for a particular disability. On completion of Area C, these can be admitted to the M.Ed. Spl.Edu. in a specific disability OR A student with B.A./B.Sc./B.Com. B.Ed.Spl.Ed. (4 years Integrated)
A student who have done BRS with specialization in special education in MR (5% concession is admissible in eligibility marks to SC/ST/BC/PwD candidates)
The Complete set of documents to be submitted will include following documents: -
1) Hard copy of duly filled up admission form
2) Copy of Mark-sheet of qualifying examination (B.Ed. or equivalent examination))
3) Copy of Matriculation certificate for proof of date of birth
4) Copy/ copies of certificate for claiming seat against reserved category (if any)
5) Copy of Certificate/s supporting the claims for the weightages (as per guidelines)
6) Certificate/s for claiming seat against UT pool as per Sub appendices A1 & A2.
7) Certificate/s for claiming seat against EWS.
8) Affidavit for gap year, if any.
9) The counselling to admission in M.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation) Course for the session 2021-22 will be held in the O/o Director, GRIID, Room No. 210, GMCH, Sector 32, Chandigarh.
1. All the Candidates are directed to appear for 1st Counselling on _________ at _________ in the O/o Director GRIID at Govt. Medical College & Hospital (Hospital Building), Sector 32, Chandigarh in Room No. 210, Block ‘D’, Chandigarh.
2. All the Students are also directed to bring all the Original documents attached with the application form and also bring fee of Rs. 17,910/- approximately.
The Candidate should submit their application form completed in all respect alongwith testimonials upto 4.00 PM on or before: 22nd October, 2021 (Friday)